13 – 20 June, 2020
In northeastern New Mexico and the mountains of southern Colorado, revisit the days of long ago when the western frontier was yet unconquered. Walk in the footsteps of those who came in search of fame, fortune, and, yes, notoriety, becoming the legends we know today. . .
• Ride steam powered trains on the two remaining segments of the Denver and Rio Grande narrow gauge railway system: The Cumbres & Toltec line from Antonito, Colorado to Chama, New Mexico over Cumbres Pass; and the Durango and Silverton line into the heart of the San Juan Mountains in southern Colorado
• Explore the sites and legends of the Santa Fe Trail in northeast New Mexico: Fort Union, Kit Carson’s home in Rayado, Las Vegas, Cimarron, Chase Ranch, the ghost town of Darwin.
• In Las Vegas, visit the Montezuma Hotel built by the Santa Fe Railway, and enjoy brunch at the recently re-opened Hotel Casteñeda, also built by the Santa Fe and operated by Fred Harvey.
• Visit the Philmont Scout Ranch, and Villa Philmonte, former country estate of oil magnate, Waite Phillips.
• Travel the San Juan Scenic Byway through the San Juan Mountains of Colorado, which follows the route of the Rio Grande Southern narrow gauge railroad over Lizard Head Pass.
• Aztec Ruins National Monument
• View the restoration of Santa Fe 4-8-4 engine #2926
Fare: $2045 per person, based on double occupancy at hotels (7 nights) Single occupancy lodging, add $325.
Program originates in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Fare includes all transportation, sightseeing, admission fees, 7 nights lodging, 12 meals, taxes and services of an experienced Tour Manager.