Winter Rail Escapade to Wisconsin
4 – 11 March, 2019
Our annual winter rail outing takes us to Wisconsin in 2019. We begin our journey in Chicago and conclude in Seattle. Optional travel packages from California to Chicago on Amtrak’s Texas Eagle, and return from Seattle on the Coast Starlight are available.
• Rail travel: Amtrak’s Hiawatha from Chicago to Racine, Wisconsin, and the Empire Builder traveling the former Great Northern route through northern North Dakota and Montana to Seattle. The Empire Builder train features a dining car, full lounge car, and a variety of sleeping car accommodations.
• Highway travel in Wisconsin is by chartered restroom equipped motor coach
• Industry in Action guided tours of the manufacturing facilities of Case-International Harvester (combines, tractors and farm equipment for domestic use and export), and Kohler (kitchen and bath fixtures) including the Kohler Design Studio.
• Visit the Gilded Age mansion of German immigrant and beer magnate, Frederik Pabst in Milwaukee.
• Expanding on our visit to Milwaukee, for art lovers, we visit the Grohmann Museum with its display of Eckhart Grohmann’s collection of 1300 paintings and sculptures depicting people at work, dating from 1580 to the present. At the nearby Pfister Hotel (opened in 1893 and listed in the National Register), we will view the large collection of Victorian artwork.
• Over 100 aircraft and artifacts of manned flight are on display during our visit to the Experimental Aircraft Museum in Oshkosh
• Enjoy a gourmet dinner prepared and served by culinary students at the Lakeview Culinary Institute in Sheboygan.
• Explore the links to escape artist Harry Houdini, and novelist Edna Ferber in Appleton.
Fares, from Chicago to Seattle, 4-11 March $1645 to $1925 per person based on the type of sleeping car accommodation selected on the Empire Builder. Includes all transportation, lodging, 13 meals, all admission fees at points visited by the group. Special fare for the Wisconsin portion of the tour (starting in Chicago 4 March and concluding in Milwaukee on 9 March) $1195. Single occupancy at hotels add $250.